Take Care, We Are All False Teachers at Heart
February 10, 2019 Preacher: David Schrock Series: The Living Church: How the Gospel Builds God’s Household
Scripture: 1 Timothy 1:3–1:7
All the Scriptures, but especially the Pastoral Epistles, talk a lot about false teaching.
This shouldn’t surprise us. If the gospel is the priceless message of salvation in Christ, then false teaching and false teachers are the gospel’s greatest threat. Yet, false teaching is not just what we may find on TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network), it is found in our own hearts and it threatens every church.
In this sermon, we considered 7 False Teachers in Training (or temptations to falsehood that may be resident in our hearts). Sound doctrine leading to a pure heart and a loving church is the best protection for truth.
- When you hear the word “heresy” what comes to mind? What about “false teaching” or “false teachers”?
- Is there a difference between false teaching and heresy? Are all doctrinal errors heresy? How do you decide? (See resources below for more discussion on this point)
- What is causing people to turn away from the truth in Ephesus? What does 1 Timothy teach about false teaching?
- What are temptations today that lead people to accept false teaching? Where have you encountered false teaching?
- In 1 Timothy 1:5, Paul speaks of a pure heart, cleanse conscience, and genuine faith. What is the ultimate source of false teaching? How does a loving church protect the gospel? (See also Romans 1:21–23; 2 Corinthians 4:4; Ephesians 4:18; Colossians 2:8, 19–22)
- What role do teachers play in false teaching? Why are elders in the church particularly important for biblical fidelity?
- How can you play a part in holding fast to the truth? If you find false teaching in your church, what should you do?
On False Teaching
- How to Spot a False Teacher by Nathan Finn
- Beware Theological Dangers on the Left and the Right by Thomas Schreiner
- Confronting Falsehood in the Church
On Theological Triage
- Theological Triage (pt. 1): Rightly Dividing Truth from Error
- Theological Triage (pt. 2): Unity in the Gospel, Separation in the Church
- Theological Triage (pt. 3): Love Covers a Multitude of Differences
- Gospel-Shaped Theology: How to Hold the Truth in Love — 6 Sunday School Lessons