John 1:35-51 What Do You See When Jesus Looks at You?
Lamb of God. Rabbi. Son of God. King of Israel. Messiah. House of God. Son of Man.
These are just some of the names we encounter in John 1:35–51. And Sunday, February 16, we saw what John the Baptist, John’s disciples, and Jesus all say about the Christ. As in all of John’s gospel, seeing Jesus truly is the way of believing and the way of eternal life. So let’s pray that God would open our eyes to see Christ and to know what it means that he sees us.
Take time to read John 1 and pray for the light of Christ to continue to shine into our hearts. We also encourage you to read this week's blog about seeing Jesus in God's Word. John is constantly pointing to our need to see who Jesus is: the one who fulfills all of God’s good promises.
For His Glory and your joy,
Discussion and Response Questions
- Consider the identity of Jesus:
- What does John the Baptist communicate about Jesus’ identity to his own disciples?
- What does Andrew explain about Jesus’ identity to his brother Simon Peter?
- What does Philip share with Nathaniel about the identity of Jesus?
- After speaking with Jesus, what does Nathaniel declare about the identity of Jesus?
- How would you summarize Jesus’ identity from the testimonies of John the Baptist, Andrew, Philip, and Nathaniel? How do you think John intends for the reader to respond?
- Why does Nathaniel believe? What is the significance of Jesus’ conversation with him?
- How does John use the Old Testament? How does Jesus fulfill the Old Testament? What passages does John employ to identify Jesus?
- Review the passage and notice every instance where someone “sees” in verses 35-51. What do you think John is doing in this passage as he writes about looking, beholding, and seeing?
- How ought we to respond to these truths?
More in Sermon Notes
March 11, 2020John 1:19-34 Who is Jesus? Learning from John the Baptist How to Answer the Most Important Question
March 11, 2020John 2:1-12 We Have Seen His Glory
March 11, 2020John 1:35-51 What Do You See When Jesus Looks at You?