The Great Equalizer
March 3, 2019 Preacher: Jared Bridges Series: The Living Church: How the Gospel Builds God’s Household
Topic: New Testament Scripture: 1 Timothy 2:1–2:7
Politics, prayer, and people. Those three things make for a volatile mix. Corporate prayer in itself can be a difficult skill for the people of God to master. Both those who vocalize prayers and those who participate have challenges, including -- but not limited to -- boredom, aimlessness, and even sermonizing during prayer. Listen to this week's sermon for insight from God's word into politics, prayer, and people!
- What are the parallels between 1 Tim 2:1-7 and Jeremiah 29:1-14, and how are they significant for us today?
- What are some ways that prayer a “great equalizer?”
- What are some ways we can go about praying for political leaders who are opposed to us?
- How does prayer for leaders reveal the “true hierarchy of power?”
- Why is it important for Christians, especially American Christians, to “make the most of our shalom for the gospel?
- How should the fact there is only one God and one mediator between God and humanity shape the mission of the church?
- What are some concrete steps we can take to better pray for our “kings and all who are in high positions?”
- Who’s My Legislator (Virginia): find out who are your representatives – both state and federal – so you can pray for them.
- Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson, by D.A. Carson. The book reference in the sermon for the quote, “He was not very good at putting people down, except on his prayer lists.”
- Praying with Paul: A Call to Spiritual Reformation, by D.A. Carson. Another great book by the author above on prayer from the perspective of the prayers of Paul.
- The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions. What the title says. And it’s surprisingly not boring!
- Praying the Bible, by Donald S. Whitney.Great little book about organizing our prayers around Scripture.
More in The Living Church: How the Gospel Builds God’s Household
June 23, 2019Fighting the Good Fight of the Faith by Following the Good Lord and Fixing Our Eyes on the Invisible God
June 9, 2019Start With WHY: Working for God’s Glory, the Gospel, and Christ’s Church
June 2, 2019From the Gospel to Good Works: A Church's How-To Manual for Elders