Seeing Joshua with New Eyes: Joshua, Jesus, and the Christian Life
Topic: Old Testament Scripture: Joshua 1:1–1:16
This week we kicked off the new sermon series called “Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament: A Study of the Book of Joshua.” Response questions and additional resources on Joshua and seeing Christ in the Old Testament are below.
- When you think of Joshua or the book about him what comes to mind?
- What are the challenges of reading a book like Joshua?
- Who is in focus in Joshua 1? Why does seeing Joshua as the recipient of God’s speech in verses 2-9 matter so much?
- What is the outline of Joshua? How do the opening verses in Joshua preview the whole book?
- How can we (accidentally) turn Joshua 1:6-9 into a passage for the prosperity gospel? How does a right reading of Joshua oppose the prosperity gospel?
- What do verses 10-18 contribute to Joshua 1? Who is speaking? What do they tell us about the book? What does the unity of Israel teach us about the church today?
- How should we apply Joshua 1 to us today? Why is putting Christ at the center so important?
- Is there anything else about Joshua we should see today?
As we begin a new series in Joshua, here are some resources on the book of Joshua and on reading the Old Testament.
- Getting to Know Joshua, Son of Nun, and Joshua, Son of God: Or, 10 Things About Joshua 1
- Finding the Macro-Structure of Joshua, with a Note for Expositional Preachers to Widen Their Vision
- Three Reasons You Should Preach Joshua — Clift Barnes
On Reading the Old Testament
- Four Guidelines for Reading the Old Testament Stories — George Guthrie
- Preaching Christ from the Old Testament — Gary Millar
- Old Testament History — Course with Simeon Trust
Soli Deo Gloria, ds
More in Joshua: Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament
January 5, 2020Covenant Life: Yesterday, Today, and Forever
December 29, 2019Beloved, Keep the Faith: What Jesus’s Final Words Say That Joshua’s Can’t (Joshua 23)
December 8, 2019The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful: Peace-Making That Rehearses the Gospel